Thursday, June 18

My First Skirt Adventure!

I made my first skirt this morning! I used a tutorial from Altered Cloth, and I really like how it turned out! It is super comfy since I used a jersey knit fabric for the waist. This also means I didn't have to deal with zippers or exact measurements! Yay! Here are some pics:

Clearly I haven't hemmed the skirt yet, but here it is! I think it will be perfect for the warm summer months ahead and I cannot wait to wear it. I have a wedding rehearsal tomorrow that may just be the perfect opportunity to debut my new creation!

I have always enjoyed sewing, I just haven't taken on many big projects such as clothing before. But as I was making this skirt I was constantly reminded of my Grandmother. She was the Queen of Sewing and made absolutely everything. My sister and I had many a matching outfit sewn by her when we were little. I am actually currently using my Gradmother's old Bernina sewing machine, which brings back fond memories. The fabric that I used for my skirt and some buttons that I recently found really reminded me of her:
It's something about the texture of the fabric and the color and style of the buttons that just seem to capture the essence of my Grandmother and her sewing room. As I am taking on more and more sewing projects I am really enjoying all of the happy memories I have of my Grandmother and her sewing room. I hope that I can make her proud!

1 comment: