Thursday, September 17

Adventures in Costume Making!

Wow, sorry that I seemed to have dropped off the planet for a while there. The beginning of a new school year is an insanely busy time, especially with Homecoming so early this year! As the Activities Director at my school I get to plan the whole shebang, so I have been extremely busy. At least this is my second year doing it so I have a much better idea of what I'm doing! But unfortunately, when you pair Homecoming preparations with teaching all of my other classes it doesn't leave much time for crafting. So imagine my excitement when I decided to combine Homecoming and Crafting together!

During Homecoming Week there is a different dress-up theme for each day. One of these days happens to be celebrity look-alike day, which really had me stumped. I don't think I look like any particular celebrity, and I don't really have any favorite celebrities that I would want to be. I thought long and hard about it, and in the end decided that I should go with what I know. And I know that I looove Harry Potter! So much so that my bachelorette party was Harry Potter themed! And while I couldn't exactly wear that outfit to school, I could use one part of it--the cape!
But after putting on the cape I decided that the tie looked just a little bit too teeny tiny for what I wanted. I mean, you couldn't really fight off Dementors with that thing. So I decided to sew my own!

Now this outfit can take on a whole posse of Dementors! (Especially with my super-awesome wand pen, also from the bachelorette party) I am so super stoked about how it turned out! I raided my craft closet and found scraps of fabric in the perfect colors for Gryffindor. I then sewed strips together for the stripes and cut out a basic tie shape. The "tie" part at the top is the leftover bits which I just kinda folded into the proper shape. Looks pretty convincing, huh?
As you can kinda see here, the crimson fabric has a nice shimmer to it which just adds a bit of "pizzaz" to the ensemble. I love it! I'll post pictures of the full costume when I wear it to school!

No comments:

Post a Comment